Thursday, November 26, 2015

Hello, Rehab!

House Mom and I talk and share our stories. She’s a recovering addict, different drug…but an addict is an addict, whether alcohol, pain pills, heroin, meth, gambling, food, etc! I’m somewhat reserved but feel I can relate with her.

The new roommates arrive at the house for lunch break. We exchange greetings and introductions over lunch. These ladies range from 18 years old to me, age 43. And yes, I was the oldest! LOL They all seem pretty friendly, encouraging and supportive.

My bunkmate is a pretty young lady about my daughter’s age, and children about the same age as my grandbabies, also both recovering addicts. She’s a rather quiet young lady but I felt a connection with her.

House Mom gave me the option of going to afternoon group or stay home, unpack and get settled in. I planned on going to group but chose to stay and settle in. This opportunity also gave House Mom and me a little extra time to get to know each other and get an idea of the daily routine.

The bedroom my roommate and I will share is nice, nothing fancy but cozy. Being the newbie, I got top bunk. At first I liked that, it made me feel like a kid. However, it didn’t take very many trips climbing up and down the bunk bed ladder to remind me (a 43 year old woman with back problems) that I’m not as young and agile as I used to be! LOL

I get unpacked; place my Bible and The Big Book along with some personal items on my dresser. As I’m pinning up photos of my kids, grandkids and my boyfriend on my board, I fight to keep the tears from flowing. Deep breath, I’m ok, it’s all gonna be ok!

Evening comes and my roommates arrive back home. We chat and get to know each other over dinner. After dinner chores are completed and we head out to my first Narcotics Anonymous meeting.

I try to be open to the idea of the NA meeting, besides, I have no choice. I'm the only lady in our house for alcoholism, I’m just not seeing what I will get from NA…I’m an alcoholic, not a drug addict. Duh, as I mentioned before, an addict is an addict. These were great people full of wisdom and encouragement!

After the meeting we return home, pig out on snacks and talk some more. It’s been a long day so I decide to turn in for the night.

As I lie in bed and reflect on the day, I’m thankful for my situation. These young ladies have been through so much and yet they persevere. I shed a few tears as I think of my family, especially my children and grandchildren, and being away from them for three months. I pray for God to get me through this, make me a better, stronger, happier and healthier person…and fall asleep.

P.S. The reality of moving in with seven other ladies (of various ages), whom I’d never met, did not hit me until about a week into rehab! Wow, what the Heck did I get myself into?! LMBO

No comments:

Post a Comment